Event logs contain activities that happen to a task during its lifecycle. For analysts wishing to leverage Process Mining software such as Celonis, PAFNow, Apromore, etc, or to understand and report on the overall lifecycle of tasks, the extraction of event log data from ServiceNow is complicated;
- The audit log is difficult to query due to performance issues and the inability to display reference fields
- Data required for a process lifecycle analysis may not only reside in the audit log, but also one or many task tables, journal tables or be generated by custom events.
- There is often the requirement for complex filtering to define what events are extracted and what tasks are included in analysing and optimising process lifecycles
- Service Management process analysis often has the requirement for multiple activity types i.e., a ‘touch work’ model, indicating all the events where manual intervention or work occurred during the lifecycle of a task, or a ‘communications’ model, highlight the interactions with the customer during the resolution of a task
- Multiple activities can occur at the same time for a given task e.g., assignment to a workgroup and change of state
- Applications that provide ‘connectors’ typically suffer from common issues related to REST API and ODBC e.g., performance, row limits, filtering, extracting data from multiple tables, etc
So, when the data required to build a ServiceNow event log is required, the data extraction process is time-consuming, repetitive and most often manual. The ‘Event Log Generator’ application solves this problem and allows for the creation of event logs that can be consumed by Process Mining software or queried directly within ServiceNow